Sunday 18 November 2012

Burnout or Devore' project

Today I made Devore' or otherwise known as burnout. This seemingly harmless paste burns away the cellulose fibres (cotton, rayon, linen) leaving all other fibres intact (wool, silk, and various synthetic fibres). I have mixed this solution form scratch using the following recipe:
59g Aluminium sulphate
125g meyprogum thicker*
20g glycerol
55g water

*to make the thickener mix:
100g powdered meyprogum
900g hot water

After the burnout have been mixed I screen printed it on blended fabrics (50 cotton/ 50 polyester), waited for it to dry and heat set (you could also do the same with an iron) the fabric for 2.5 minute (note thicker fabrics such as jeans and velvet take double this time). Here is what I got ... 

















This is the textile studio at NSCAD


                                                                                               Here is my swatch

No comments:

Post a Comment